The engineering firm Thornton Tomasetti has announced the launch of TTWiiN, a privately held company that will develop and commercialize new tech.
TTWiiN, which is a name based on “Thornton Tomasetti Weidlinger Innovation accelerator,” will initially feature six products:
- Spectacles Suite includes a web application that allows users to view and share 3D and building information models on the web and a virtual reality platform.
- Vibration Solutions, products that mitigate structural vibrations for tall buildings, long-span structures and bridges.
- WAimat Suite, a trio of software tools that facilitate advanced material modeling.
- PZFlex, a finite-element simulation software package for the design and development of piezoelectric and ultrasonic devices.
- Pumpkin Mounts, new shock-and-vibration insolation mount technology.
- Fuel-Injection Technology, which allows better control of fuel in the system during each cycle for more efficiency and power.
The company has its own tech incubator, CORE R&D. The plan is to add new products to TTWiiN from the program every year.
“TTWiiN gives us a platform to drive innovation in our industry and beyond,” Thomas Z. Scarangello, P.E., Chairman & CEO, Thornton Tomasetti, said in a statement. “We are taking technologies that are developed in our CORE R&D incubator and tested in real-world scenarios, then providing the necessary support and leadership to accelerate them to the next level.”
Spectacles Suite includes VRX, a virtual reality platform that enables a guide to work with multiple guest users on a project model.
These images, created with WAidam, show the distribution of equivalent plastic strain around a propagating crack in a simulation of a welded plate subjected to idealized ship grounding.
Based on a shock-mount design for naval applications, pumpkin mounts offer advantages over traditional wire rope isolators. They have applications in any environment where high-acceleration shock loading or large deflection vibration may damage critical or high-value installations.
PZFlex is a multi-application virtual simulation software package. This model shows a pressure field from a piezoelectric high-intensity focused ultrasound transducer.