Jeff Zbikowski, Principal and Founder of Los Angeles-based JZA Architecture, discusses the benefits of having a developer’s mindset when working with clients, and why architecture firms lose out when they don’t have a thorough understanding of real estate regulations and challenges. Topics include:
- Keeping up with regulations and legislation is a lot of work. How would you suggest that architecture firms stay abreast of changing laws and codes without sacrificing their design work?
- How did JZA Architecture cultivate a developer mindset?
- You contend that thinking like a developer can give architects a competitive advantage. How so?
- What kinds of opportunities get uncovered when an architect can speak to a developer-client on the latter’s own terms and concerns? Can you cite any examples where a developer has changed his or her plans as a result of these conversations?
- What are some new or impending regs or laws that your firm is keeping an eye on?