The SMPS Foundation is now accepting scholarship applications from eligible students majoring in marketing, communications, or public relations who are planning a career in professional services marketing in the architecture, engineering, and construction industry. One outstanding scholar will be selected this summer to receive a $1,000 scholarship award to be used toward academic expenses.
The eligibility requirements are:
- The student’s college or university must be located in the United States and the institution’s accreditation must be recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation.
- The student must be currently enrolled and pursuing a bachelor’s, associate’s, or a graduate degree in marketing, public relations, and/or communications.
- The student must be enrolled full time, with a course load of at least 12 semester hours. Students pursuing a graduate degree must be enrolled for a minimum of six credits.
- The student must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
- Two letters of recommendation must accompany the student’s application: one from either the academic advisor or a professor in the degree program in which the student is enrolled, and the other from a person who can speak to the student’s passion about his/her major and/or the field of professional services marketing.
- The student may not have received any scholarship award from the SMPS Foundation previously or more than one scholarship from an SMPS chapter.
- The student must respond to one of two essay questions.
- Preference will be given to SMPS members in good standing, including student members.
The scholarship application is available at www.smps.org/foundscholarship. Application deadline: June 14, 2013.
For more information about the scholarship, please contact SMPS Foundation Liaison Molly Dall’Erta at 1.800.292.7677, ext. 231, or [email protected].
About the Ron Garikes Student Scholarship
This scholarship was created by the SMPS Foundation in partnership with the Karlsberger Companies, a planning and architectural firm where Ron Garikes spent most of his 27-year career. Garikes led the firm’s Laboratory and Technology Group and served as COO of its Birmingham, AL, office. Garikes passed away on April 28, 2013, after a courageous battle with Lou Gehrig’s disease (ALS).
A Distinguished Life Member and a Fellow, Garikes served the Society for Marketing Professional Services in the roles of Society president (1991–92), secretary, Southeast regional director, and Foundation trustee. Garikes was a founding member and president of SMPS Alabama. A contributing author to the three editions of The Marketing Handbook for the Design and Construction Professional, Garikes was an accomplished industry author and presenter.
About the SMPS Foundation
The SMPS Foundation promotes research and education that advances the body of knowledge of professional services marketing in the architectural, engineering, and construction industry. For more information on the Foundation, visit www.smpsfoundation.org.