New York State legislators recently passed a budget that includes a provision to allow state agencies to continue to use design-build on projects.
The legislation expands the use of design-build for four years in existing agencies and authorizes eight new projects at four more agencies. Design-build was extended for four years for these agencies:
- New York State Thru-way Authority
- Department of Transportation
- Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic preservation
- Department of Environmental Conservation
- New York State Bridge Authority
Design-build was expanded to include eight additional projects by these four agencies:
- Urban Development Corporation
- Dormitory Authority & Urban Development Corporation
- New York State Olympic Regional Development Authority
- Office of General Services
Among the eight projects are: several Olympic Regional Development Authority resorts, a new regional visitors center in Essex County, a new State Police forensics lab and a new Life Sciences Laboratory. New York has lagged behind many other states in approving design-build authority, but the state has had some impressive successes, particularly on roads and bridges, according to the Design-Build Institute.