TripAdvisor announced the 10 highest-rated TripAdvisor GreenLeaders hotels in the U.S., and the results of its eco-travel survey of more than 2,100 U.S. respondents.
According to the survey, 23% of respondents have consciously made an eco-friendly travel choice in the past year, and 85% said doing so made them feel more positive about their trip.
The top five most common ways U.S. respondents travel green:
• Ensured the lights were turned off when not in hotel room - 96%
• Participated in hotel's linen/towel reuse program - 90%
• Used recycling in the hotel - 81%
• Ensured the air-conditioning was turned off when not in the hotel room - 72%
• Walked, biked, or used public transportation as much as possible - 69%
"Not only is seeking out an eco-friendly accommodation good for the environment, but our survey also shows that most travelers find travel experiences more enjoyable when they make greener choices," said Jenny Rushmore, director of responsible travel at TripAdvisor.
Top 10 highest-rated green hotels in the U.S.
Based on the properties that have achieved the peak "Platinum" status in the TripAdvisor GreenLeaders program, and are the most popular with travelers according to the TripAdvisor Popularity Index. The TripAdvisor GreenLeaders program aims to help travelers around the world plan greener trips by highlighting hotels and B&Bs engaging in environmentally friendly practices.
1. Bardessono, Yountville, California (5 out of 5 bubble rating on TripAdvisor, 675 reviews). In the heart of Wine Country, this 62-room hotel welcomes guests to the lap of luxury while minimizing the environmental impact. A subterranean geothermal system provides heating and air-conditioning to the sumptuously designed guest rooms, while two on-site gardens deliver fresh produce for the hotel's gourmet Lucy Restaurant and Bar. A TripAdvisor reviewer said, "We love the peaceful surroundings and sustainable environment."
2. Allison Inn & Spa, Newberg, Oregon (5 out of 5 bubble rating on TripAdvisor, 413 reviews). Blending seamlessly into 35 acres of hillside in the Willamette Valley, this 85-room resort was designed with sustainability in mind. The property boasts a "living roof," which provides insulation to reduce energy use. A TripAdvisor reviewer commented, "The inn is very environmentally conscious. Glass bottles for filtered water in the room are refilled, linens are only changed by request."
3. Hilton Garden Inn Fayetteville/Fort Bragg, Fayetteville, North Carolina (4.5 out of 5 bubble rating on TripAdvisor, 332 reviews). In the Sandhills region of North Carolina, eco-conscious travelers can stay at this 104-room hotel that carefully monitors its carbon footprint. The hotel exclusively uses energy efficient appliances and lighting, and the surrounding landscaping was designed to be self-sustaining and is irrigated using rainwater collected on the roof. A TripAdvisor reviewer commented, "Very friendly and it appears to be a strong advocate of environmental practices."
4. Sleep Inn & Suites, Miles City, Montana (5 out of 5 bubble rating on TripAdvisor, 73 reviews). Located 140 miles northeast of Billings near the Yellowstone River, this hotel makes it easy to travel green. All 90 rooms feature motion sensors that turn off lights and electronics when there is no in-room activity. The hotel also recycles the soap and shampoo that is leftover after each guest checks out. A TripAdvisor reviewer commented, "Recycling centers and other environmentally friendly things were a welcome sight."
5. Montage Deer Valley, Park City, Utah (4.5 out of 5 bubble rating on TripAdvisor, 341 reviews). Nestled in the Wasatch Mountains, this alpine resort offers fabulous outdoor activities, while doing its part to protect the pristine surroundings. Built and landscaped using indigenous materials, the resort uses a comprehensive waste management program to limit what it sends to the landfill. A TripAdvisor reviewer said, "I noticed the towel reuse program, water conservation efforts, and energy saving lights in the rooms as part of the environmentally friendly efforts."
6. Cedar Glen Lodge, Lake Tahoe, California (4.5 out of 5 bubble rating on TripAdvisor, 521 reviews). Boasting stunning views of Lake Tahoe, travelers can enjoy a relaxing, low-impact retreat at this rustic resort that was recently renovated using reclaimed wood. To cut down on water use, the resort directs snow and rainfall into large filtering vaults, recirculates hot water, and uses low-flow plumbing appliances. A TripAdvisor reviewer commented, "I love the steps taken to try and not waste material and also re-use towels as much as possible."
7. ARIA Sky Suites, Las Vegas, Nevada (4.5 out of 5 bubble rating on TripAdvisor, 454 reviews). High above the Las Vegas Strip, this 442-room hotel implements eco-friendly practices while providing guests with an indulgent experience, including complimentary airport transportation using the world's first stretch-limo fleet powered by compressed natural gas. A TripAdvisor reviewer noted that the green features are "one of the finest things about ARIA. They have a huge emphasis on recycling and are a LEED Certified site."
8. The Lenox Hotel, Boston, Massachusetts (4.5 out of 5 bubble rating on TripAdvisor, 2,189 reviews). In Boston's Copley Square, the 204-room Lenox Hotel was one of the first hotels to offer a linen-reuse program back in the 1980s. Today, the hotel remains committed to sustainability by recycling 88 percent of its waste and donating unused amenities to local charitable organizations. A TripAdvisor reviewer commented, "The hotel was a pioneer in environmentally friendly practices."
9. Hampton Inn & Suites Miami/Brickell-Downtown, Miami, Florida (4.5 out of 5 bubble rating on TripAdvisor, 1,250 reviews). Travelers to the Sunshine State can enjoy a sustainable stay at this hotel, which was the first in Miami to be LEED certified. Among environmentally friendly features are two electric car charging stations, as well as a 35,000-gallon cistern that collects rainwater for reuse. A TripAdvisor reviewer noted, "Most environmentally aware hotel that I have ever stayed at - breakfast plates and cutlery made from potatoes... recycling bins everywhere."
10. Holiday Inn Express Inverness, Lecanto, Florida (4.5 out of 5 bubble rating on TripAdvisor, 194 reviews). Located in Citrus County near Florida's Gulf Coast, this 75-room hotel has sustainability down to a science. Automatic systems regulate electricity and hot water for increased efficiency, while recycling bins strategically placed throughout the property help cut down on waste. A TripAdvisor reviewer commented, "They recycle the soaps and you have the option to reuse bedding and towels."