Ryan Colker, VP of Innovation at the International Code Council, discusses how municipal regulations and inspections are keeping up with the expansion of off-site manufacturing for commercial construction. Colker speaks with BD+C's John Caulfield about the following topics:
- Where is the construction industry benefiting most, currently, from prefabrication?
- On its website, ICC promotes a primer that it says can help project teams and communities unlock the potential of off-site construction. Can you provide more details about your organization’s recommendations?
- What are some of the challenges and solutions to achieving widespread deployment of off-site construction?
- What other resources would you recommend for AEC and manufacturing firms that want to get into off-site construction in a bigger way?
- Do you see the deployment of prefab expanding, and if so for which building types? What potential impediments might slow that deployment?
Building Tech | Apr 8, 2019
Factory-based construction with no siloes starts with a single source of truth
Working from a single source of truth means every factor of design, procurement, manufacturing, and assembly will be accounted for before the assembly line is turned on.
Building Tech | Mar 19, 2019
Digital twin startup aims to map the planet's metros
The Smart World suite of 5D software platforms map and visualize data provided by metropolises to an intuitive real-time 3D simulation.
Building Tech | Mar 15, 2019
Digital twin applications: 7 steps to a better-managed jobsite
Automated progress monitoring and optimizing equipment usage are among the potential applications for digital twin technology on construction jobsites.
Building Tech | Mar 15, 2019
The Gemini Factor: Digital twin tech enters the AEC market
AEC firms explore how digital twin technology can bring more consistency to the design process and construction site.
Building Tech | Mar 13, 2019
Almost everything you wanted to know about industrial construction
Our experts offer 15 tips on how best to perform factory-based construction.
Building Tech | Feb 18, 2019
Investing — and building — smarter
Edge Technologies has entered into alliances with the International WELL Building Institute and wellness-focused real estate developer Delos.
Building Tech | Feb 14, 2019
The epic rise of industrialized construction
Experts project that prefabrication and modular construction will total $209 billion by the end of the decade.
Building Technology | Dec 20, 2018
Autodesk is spending $1.15 billion to acquire two construction tech providers
PlanGrid and BuildingConnected are the latest pieces in the company’s quest to digitize the construction industry.
3D Printing | Dec 7, 2018
Additive manufacturing heads to the jobsite
Prototype mobile 3D printing shop aims to identify additive manufacturing applications for construction jobsites.
Building Tech | Sep 6, 2018
19 decommissioned shipping containers become downtown Phoenix’s hottest marketplace
September 1 marked the opening of downtown Phoenix’s newest restaurant and retail marketplace—and its latest commercial construction project to utilize decommissioned shipping containers as its primarily building form.