Ryan Colker, VP of Innovation at the International Code Council, discusses how municipal regulations and inspections are keeping up with the expansion of off-site manufacturing for commercial construction. Colker speaks with BD+C's John Caulfield about the following topics:
- Where is the construction industry benefiting most, currently, from prefabrication?
- On its website, ICC promotes a primer that it says can help project teams and communities unlock the potential of off-site construction. Can you provide more details about your organization’s recommendations?
- What are some of the challenges and solutions to achieving widespread deployment of off-site construction?
- What other resources would you recommend for AEC and manufacturing firms that want to get into off-site construction in a bigger way?
- Do you see the deployment of prefab expanding, and if so for which building types? What potential impediments might slow that deployment?
75 Top Products | Dec 16, 2019
Top Building Systems Products for 2019
FabricAir’s ceiling-hung fabric duct and Ellumi Lighting’s bacteria-killing lights are among the 13 new building systems products to make Building Design+Construction's 2019 101 Top Products report.
75 Top Products | Dec 12, 2019
Top Building Envelope Products for 2019
Sto's beetle-inspired exterior coating and Dörken Systems' UV-resistant vapor-permeable barrier are among the 28 new building envelope products to make Building Design+Construction's 2019 101 Top Products report.
Building Tech | Nov 8, 2019
Pittsburgh is developing a one-stop-shop campus for additive manufacturing and 3D printing
Neighborhood 91 is the latest tech venture for the city’s airport authority.
Multifamily Housing | Sep 12, 2019
Meet the masters of offsite construction
Prescient combines 5D software, clever engineering, and advanced robotics to create prefabricated assemblies for apartment buildings and student housing.
Codes and Standards | Sep 9, 2019
Free app calculates maximum allowable heights and areas for buildings
A free app that calculates the maximum allowable heights and areas for buildings of various occupancy classifications and types of construction has been released.
AEC Innovators | Aug 15, 2019
Oracle’s replica of a construction jobsite creates an immersive environment for AEC professionals
The Oracle Construction and Engineering Innovation Lab allows visitors to walk through five different stages of construction work, to test new AEC technologies and training techniques.
Building Tech | Jul 24, 2019
Building façade innovation: Water won’t dissolve this sugar cube
10 Jay Street’s unitized “sugar crystal” façade was engineered to withstand the water and wind from New York’s East River.
Multifamily Housing | Jul 23, 2019
Is prefab in your future?
The most important benefit of offsite construction, when done right, is reliability.
Building Tech | Jun 26, 2019
Modular construction can deliver projects 50% faster
Modular construction can deliver projects 20% to 50% faster than traditional methods and drastically reshape how buildings are delivered, according to a new report from McKinsey & Co.
Building Tech | Apr 19, 2019
Skender, Z Modular reach agreement to fabricate multifamily housing components
Factory to open soon on the southwest side of Chicago.