Ryan Colker, VP of Innovation at the International Code Council, discusses how municipal regulations and inspections are keeping up with the expansion of off-site manufacturing for commercial construction. Colker speaks with BD+C's John Caulfield about the following topics:
- Where is the construction industry benefiting most, currently, from prefabrication?
- On its website, ICC promotes a primer that it says can help project teams and communities unlock the potential of off-site construction. Can you provide more details about your organization’s recommendations?
- What are some of the challenges and solutions to achieving widespread deployment of off-site construction?
- What other resources would you recommend for AEC and manufacturing firms that want to get into off-site construction in a bigger way?
- Do you see the deployment of prefab expanding, and if so for which building types? What potential impediments might slow that deployment?
Smart Buildings | Oct 26, 2020
World’s first smart building assessment and rating program released
The SPIRE Smart Building Program will help building owners and operators make better investment decisions, improve tenant satisfaction, and increase asset value.
Building Tech | Jun 16, 2020
thyssenkrupp Elevator launches forward-looking technologies for a more comfortable and secure mobility experience
To ensure peace of mind for passengers, the company is focusing on three pillars: hygiene, social distancing and touchless technologies.
Healthcare Facilities | Mar 9, 2020
Mobile wayfinding platform helps patients, visitors navigate convoluted health campuses
Gozio Health uses a robot to roam hospital campuses to capture data and create detailed maps of the building spaces and campus.
University Buildings | Mar 9, 2020
Auburn University, Robins & Morton open Construction Field Laboratory
Robins & Morton and Auburn University’s College of Architecture, Design and Construction (CADC) recently celebrated the dedication of the Robins & Morton Construction Field Laboratory.
Green | Mar 9, 2020
BuroHappold commits to all new building projects achieving net-zero carbon by 2030
The engineering firm also launched a long-term partnership with ILFI.
Sponsored | Glass and Glazing | Mar 2, 2020
Restoration and Replacement of Glazed Curtain Wall Assemblies
Modular Building | Feb 16, 2020
On the West Coast, prefab gains ground for speedier construction
Gensler has been working with component supplier Clark Pacific on several projects.
AEC Tech | Feb 13, 2020
Exclusive research: Download the final report for BD+C's Giants 300 Technology and Innovation Study
This survey of 130 of the nation's largest architecture, engineering, and construction firms tracks the state of AEC technology adoption and innovation initiatives at the AEC Giants.
AEC Tech | Jan 16, 2020
EC firms with a clear ‘digital roadmap’ should excel in 2020
Deloitte, in new report, lays out a risk mitigation strategy that relies on tech.
| Dec 18, 2019
Reconsidering construction robotics
After decades when experts predicted that robots would become more prevalent on construction sites, it would appear that the industry has finally reached that point where necessity, aspiration, and investment are colliding.