Ryan Colker, VP of Innovation at the International Code Council, discusses how municipal regulations and inspections are keeping up with the expansion of off-site manufacturing for commercial construction. Colker speaks with BD+C's John Caulfield about the following topics:
- Where is the construction industry benefiting most, currently, from prefabrication?
- On its website, ICC promotes a primer that it says can help project teams and communities unlock the potential of off-site construction. Can you provide more details about your organization’s recommendations?
- What are some of the challenges and solutions to achieving widespread deployment of off-site construction?
- What other resources would you recommend for AEC and manufacturing firms that want to get into off-site construction in a bigger way?
- Do you see the deployment of prefab expanding, and if so for which building types? What potential impediments might slow that deployment?