A Skanska executive offers 10 tips to make the best use of salvaged construction materials in a Living Building post. The advice includes:
· Early integration of the project team. This allows contractors to advise designers early on the practicality of using salvaged materials.
· Work with local reuse organizations. These groups obtain materials from deconstructed buildings and may have what you need close by.
· Look for opportunities to source materials. Even ordinary buildings contain materials that can be of use. Look early and often for these treasures.
· Obtain a staging warehouse. Setting aside a portion of a garage or other building, or renting a storage unit can fill the bill.
· Be ready in the schematic design phase. This is the best stage to analyze salvage possibilities.
· Know hurdles and limitations. Salvage projects may face technical challenges that don’t exist for new materials and products including warranties, specifications, and ratings for things like structural materials, mechanical equipment, and plumbing.