In Phoenix, The Egyptian Motor Hotel, which first opened in 1952 and operated for decades as the Las Palmas Inn, has been transformed into a boutique hotel with a midcentury vibe. With its large neon sign now restored, the two-story, open-air hotel features Egyptian-themed murals and other artwork.
The design by EDI International repurposed the hotel’s triangular parking lot into a 400-person live entertainment venue that includes a music stage and bar, while keeping most of the original parking spaces. The hotel’s first-floor cabana areas and second-floor balconies all have views of the stage. An onsite Mexican restaurant, Chilte, now serves as the permanent home of a former pop-up.
The Egyptian includes 48 guest rooms adorned with retro furnishings, including Bluetooth speakers that look like Marshall amplifiers, pillows resembling VHS tapes, egg chairs, Magic 8 Balls, refrigerators, and coolers. The rooms’ wallpapers take inspiration from classic drink labels. The guest rooms have a king bed or bunk bed, dinette table, and smart TVs. In one room, the names of The Doors’ songs and album titles form the face of late lead singer Jim Morrison. And a fully remodeled 1960s Airstream serves as a private guestroom.
The Egyptian Motel Hotel, which opened earlier this year, operates under Best Western’s BW Signature Collection.
On the Building Team:
Design architect and architect of record: EDI International
MEP engineer: IMEG Corp.
Structural engineer: PVE, LLC
General contractor: Western States General Contracting, LLC
Construction manager: PDL Enterprises