Construction is nearing completion on the $158 million master plan renovation and expansion of the Detroit Institute of Arts, designed by Michael Graves and Associates with SmithGroup as architect of record and Walbridge Aldinger/Jenkins as contractor.
Expansion of the existing DIA will provide a new entrance to Prentis Court for special events. The renovation of the existing building improved gallery space, clarified public circulation with a new north-south spine, improved existing horizontal circulation between galleries, and provided vertical circulation between the main floors.
Renovations included providing additional spaces for galleries, educational programs, new dining and special event areas, and additional administrative offices. The entire mechanical system was also upgraded to meet art conservation requirements.
The plan also included the recladding of the existing north and south wings, designed to complement the original building in composition,material, and color.
The original Beaux Arts-style building was designed in 1927 by French-American architect Paul Philippe Cret.