Kirchhoff-Consigli Construction Management (KCCM) has begun Phase 2 of the first major restoration of the Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum since 1972, when two wings were added in honor of Eleanor Roosevelt. America’s first presidential library, and the only one used by a sitting president, was conceived and built under President Roosevelt’s direction and opened to the public in 1941.
The current renovation will carefully preserve the building’s historic appearance, while bringing its archives and museum up to the National Archive’s standards for the long-term preservation of historic collections. Architect for the project is EYP Architecture & Engineering.
Phase 2 involves restoration of the historic exterior including masonry walls, sheet metal roofing, windows and doors, as well as increasing exhibition space to allow for the installation of a new permanent exhibit opening in summer of 2013. All work is being managed in and around the occupied building, ensuring that visitors are still able to access the collections and tour the site.
Phase 1 of the restoration was recently completed by KCCM on time and on schedule with no disruption to the viewing public. The first phase included new slate roofing, drainage, and plumbing systems, as well as new electrical, security and fire protection systems and adaptations for ADA compliance. BD+C