The U.S. Department of Energy has released Zero Energy Ready Home Multifamily Version 2.
The latest version of the certification program increases energy efficiency and performance levels, adds electric readiness, and makes compliance pathways and the certification process more consistent with the ENERGY STAR Multifamily New Construction (ESMFNC) program. Both low-rise and high-rise multifamily buildings are eligible for this certification.
The new version:
• Requires certification under ENERGY STAR Multifamily New Construction Version 1.2.
• Requires certification under Indoor airPLUS V1 (for permit dates on or before 12/31/2025) and Indoor airPLUS V2 Certified or Gold tier (for permit dates on/after 1/1/2026)
• Increases the stringency of envelope insulation and window requirements.
• Includes PV-Ready and EV-Ready Checklists tailored for multifamily buildings.
• Incorporates electric-ready provisions to accommodate future heat pump installations for space and water heating.
• Provides three pathways for certification: Energy Rating Index (ERI), ASHRAE 90.1, and Prescriptive.
• Increases the minimum required efficiency threshold, bringing ERI scores to qualify for ZERH to the mid-40s. The ASHRAE and Prescriptive pathways are designed to achieve a similar level of energy efficiency.