The Log at Williams College dates to the mid-1700s. In 1941, the structure was turned into an Alumni House; five years later, the Dodge Room was added. After a fire in 1951, another addition was built.
Two years ago, local firm Cummings General Contractor and design firm C&H Architects led the upgrade of The Log to modern energy, safety, and access standards. The project team conducted surveys of students, faculty, and staff to get their input.
A 1,200-sf, low-energy commercial kitchen and bar, as well as a new entry, coatroom, and service spaces, were added. Murals were preserved. Historic woods were salvaged. Handcrafted historic light fixtures were refurbished with LED lamping. An innovative roof superstructure was developed to transfer roof loads to the foundation, alleviating strain on the existing roof while preserving the interior.
The Log is now a year-round neo-colonial event space and restaurant.
Bronze Award Winner
Building Team: Cummings General Contractor (submitting firm, GC) C&H Architects (architect) Barry Engineers & Constructors (SE) B2Q Associates (MEP) Crabtree McGrath Associates (food services) Energy Balance Inc. (energy and systems).
Details: 11,509 sf Total cost $4.5 million Construction time February 2015 to January 2016 Delivery method Design-bid-build.