Clearing up myths about PVDF coatings

While all PVDF coatings contain the same resins, the remaining 30% of the binders and pigmentation vary by manufacturer.

Sponsored content
August 03, 2015 |
Jeff Alexander
Clearing up myths about PVDF coatings

Photo courtesy of Timothy Hursely.

There is a misconception in the industry that 70% PVDF (polyvinylidene fluoride) coatings are uniform in quality. While all PVDF coatings contain the same resins, the remaining 30% of the binders and pigmentation vary by manufacturer, thus performance and durability are not consistent among all 70% PVDF coatings on the market. To increase understanding of these coatings, Valspar recently released a white paper about PVDF coatings.

With these coatings, as with all coatings, it is important to use a company with a reputation for quality and customer service. For over five decades, Valspar scientists have been conducting rigorous field testing, creating coatings with dependable color consistency, and developing proprietary formulas with proven performance.

All the ingredients in these coatings been extensively tested both by Valspar coating experts and third-party sources. In fact, Valspar is the only coil coating manufacturer with its own test site for continuously monitoring coatings under harsh environments.

Valspar has 70% PVDF resin-based coatings for coil and extrusion applications that meet performance, sustainability, and budget challenges. Custom coating solutions are also available, to bring an architectural vision into reality. 

Jeff Alexander | Get Inspired: Color and Coatings

Jeff Alexander, Valspar’s VP of Sales for the Coil and Extrusion division has been with Valspar since 1997. He has an entrepreneur spirit and has thrived in building relationships with our customers. Jeff has fully immersed himself in all levels of the coating industry and enjoyed his term as National President at NCCA (National Coil Coating Association).  He is focused on continuing to educate customers on the paint industry.

Related Blogs

August 16, 2017 | Coatings | Get Inspired: Color and Coatings

Railings, screens, canopies, and shading devices punctuate projects and are important aspects of the built...

July 17, 2017 | Coatings | Get Inspired: Color and Coatings

As building codes become more stringent and green rating systems grow in popularity, Valspar has developed...

June 29, 2017 | Roofing | Get Inspired: Color and Coatings

The Metal Roofing Alliance estimates that 750,000 metal roofs were installed on U.S. homes in 2015.

June 09, 2017 | Coatings | Get Inspired: Color and Coatings

Valspar has over 20,000 colors available for metal panels from the Fluropon Coil Family, Valflon, and the W...

June 02, 2017 | Coatings | Get Inspired: Color and Coatings

The skillful use of exterior color for commercial buildings makes a statement about the company brand, crea...

May 18, 2017 | Coatings | Get Inspired: Color and Coatings

According to the U.S. Green Building Council, buildings consume 73 percent of U.S. electricity and are resp...

May 04, 2017 | Coatings | Get Inspired: Color and Coatings

Bolder colors are growing in popularity as accents.

April 21, 2017 | Coatings | Get Inspired: Color and Coatings

Our 6.25-acre test facility in Fort Myers, Fla., has 100,000 panels on exposure and demonstrates our commit...

April 14, 2017 | Coatings | Get Inspired: Color and Coatings

Regardless of age, culture, and training, color creates shared mood associations and shifts our perceptions...

March 22, 2017 | Get Inspired: Color and Coatings

These roofs allow a significant reduction in operation and maintenance costs for commercial and industrial...

Overlay Init