The goal of the BD+C Reconstruction Awards is to find the best reconstructed, renovated, or remodeled projects, based on overall design, engineering, and construction project quality.
Here are some tips to help you win:
1. Eligibility: Only projects completed or occupied between January 1, 2020 and July 16, 2021 are eligible.
2. Entry deadline: July 16, 2021
3. Describe “obstacles,” “challenges,” “issues,” “problems” + how your team solved them. How did the team attack the problems posed by the project? Any new approaches? Innovations? Remember, give results, both quantitative ($$$ saved, time saved, profitability, etc.) and qualitative (testimonials, quotes from a satisfied client, other “soft” evidence of success). Tell us what lessons you learned from the project.
4. Tell the judges why the project should win: At the outset of your written statement, state 4-5 reasons (in bullet-point fashion) why your submission deserves to win.
5. Show how you went beyond standard practice. Did your Building Team find an unusual solution to a problem? Tell us how you convinced a client to try an unusual technical solution. Our readers are interested in what’s new.
6. Tell the “story” of the project. Winning projects should have a compelling story—getting a project built in record time, overcoming catastrophes, solving unexpected problems that come up in the course of the project. Yes, we want the technical details, but make sure the “human narrative” doesn’t get lost in your presentation.
7. Let your images “sell” your entry. We get a lot of entries with great photos, diagrams, floor plans, etc., but with no explanation of how these photos or graphics support your case for winning. Important: Every photo and image should illustrate a key point about your project and include a caption explaining what’s being shown and why.
8. Don’t be afraid to toot your horn. We presume you will not exaggerate, but the judges do need to justify their decision, and you have the most complete information about your project. So, let us know if the project has won other awards. Scan your press clippings, reprints, etc.
9. You may supply financial information confidentially, if necessary. We understand that certain clients are sensitive about revealing financial details. Although we prefer to have all financial information included in the entry, if you have a situation where the client demands confidentiality, you may write “Confidential at Client Request” in the appropriate space on the entry form.
However, to be eligible, you must also send, under separate cover, a single copy of the financial information to: David Barista, email@example.com. As BD+C’s editor, I promise to keep the details of this information confidential and will only supply “ranges” of information to the judges as needed to help in their deliberations. Should your project win, the financial information will not be published in BD+C. This procedure is necessary to ensure that we are fair to all entries and the judges have enough information to do their job.
10. Put yourself in the judges’ shoes. Ask yourself: Have I made a compelling case for our project? Is there logic to the presentation? Is it readable? Is the type large enough? Did I make it easy for the judges to grasp our argument?
We’re not interested in fancy presentations. Use yellow marker to highlight key points. Point arrows to crucial details in drawings or photos. Underline key points. The judges have a lot of entries to review … make it easy for them to read yours.
11. Photo/graphics format for 2021. You must put all your images into a PowerPoint file (at 72-dpi resolution), along with the high-resolution versions in a separate folder, with captions for the PPT explaining what the photo or image illustrates. Why did you choose this photo? How does it advance your entry? Use your images to make your case and sell your project to the judges. You must also place a file containing all your images at high-resolution (300 dpi) on the same flash drive (or Dropbox file transfer). Finally, include your Written Statement of Support (in Word or PDF format) and Project Information Sheet on the flash drive/file transfer. Note: DO NOT submit a binder with full-page printouts of your photos or images.
12. Entry fee: The Reconstruction Awards entry fee is $250.00.
Email all entry materials to David Barista, Editorial Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, by July 16, 2021.
Questions? Contact David Barista, BD+C Editorial Director, at email@example.com or 847-954-7929.
We look forward to seeing your entry (or entries). Good luck!