A 1920s cheese factory is now a university science building

Almost 15,000 sf of space was added to the original, four-story building.

October 10, 2017 |
Troy Hall's north facade

Photo courtesy of Perkins+Will

When Troy Hall was constructed in 1921, it was used as a dairy building that housed the Washington State University (WSU) Creamery, Ferdinand’s Ice Cream Shoppe, and chemistry classes. After closing its doors in 2010, Troy Hall retired its cheese equipment and decided to focus on the chemistry. Roughly seven years later, Troy Hall reopened as the new home of the Department of Chemistry and School of the Environment.

The Perkins+Will-designed building added almost 15,000 sf of new space to the north of the building, bringing the total square footage of the four-story building up to 50,000. The new space is used for private and open offices and meeting spaces of various sizes.


Troy Hall's north entryPhoto courtesy Perkins+Will.


An oversized, naturally lit staircase connects the new space with the rest of the 35,000-sf building. Collaborative and informal meeting spaces are located near the new stairwell on each floor. These new spaces are meant to form the new “academic heart” of Troy Hall. Teaching and research labs and flexible spaces that can be used for a variety of uses fill out the rest of the building.

Due to the historic nature of the building, Perkins+Will preserved as much of the historic character as possible. All four walls from the original 1920s façade and the terra cotta from the original entrance were deconstructed, restored, and relocated to the building’s new front door.


Troy Hall's stairway atriumPhoto courtesy Perkins+Will.


In addition to Perkins+Will, the design-build team also comprised Lydig Construction. The rest of the build team was composed of Parametric, Inc. (CE), Coughlin Porter Lundeen (SE), PAE Engineers (MEP), and Swift Company (landscape architect).


Troy Hall's stairway atriumPhoto courtesy of Perkins+Will.


Troy Hall's south facadePhoto courtesy of Perkins+Will.


Troy Hall in 1933Photo: PC 70 Hutchison Studio Photographs of W.S.U. 


Overlay Init