Stanford White's Rouss Hall preserved at University of Virginia
The University of Virginia in Charlottesville recently dedicated the Rouss and Robertson Halls, a 138,000-sf construction and renovation project designed by Hartman-Cox Architects of Washington, D.C., and built by Gilbane Construction Co. Rouss Hall is one of three structures designed by Stanford White beginning in 1896 that closed the south end of Thomas Jefferson's lawn. The completed building has a structural steel frame, a brick façade, natural stone treatments, and precast sills, arches, and details that blend in with the Jeffersonian campus. Robertson Hall is a new addition constructed on a former parking area. The two structures were consolidated to form a single building, the McIntire School of Commerce.