The Rhode Island Chapter of the Associated General Contractors (RIAGC) of America recently honored seven construction companies for 10 outstanding construction projects. This was the seventh year that “Build Rhode Island” hosted the awards program.
The 85-year old RIAGC represents leading general contractors, construction managers, specialty contractors, suppliers, and service providers that construct a majority of the corporate, institutional and public projects in southeastern New England. The RIAGC promotes workforce development, safety, professional education, positive labor-contractor relations, and the principles of skill, responsibility and integrity.
“The projects represent notable contributions to the community,” said Eric F. Anderson, executive director of the RIAGC. “They are well-constructed buildings with long-term functional value and they also provide significant value in terms of jobs provided for subcontractors and materials suppliers as well as the contractors’ employees.”
All the firms honored were judged on the basis of five characteristics: innovation in construction techniques or materials, excellence in client service, contribution to the community, meeting the challenge of a difficult job, and sensitivity to the environment and surroundings. Eligible projects had to be substantially completed by RIAGC members between Dec. 31, 2004, and March 31, 2008. The entries were judged by an out-of-region panel of contractors. Projects were entered in new construction, renovation/restoration and interior categories with subcategories for small, medium and large construction firms.
Five general contractors and two specialty contractors received a total of six honor awards and four merit awards:
E.W. Burman, Inc., Warwick, RI
• Merit award for new construction of a mausoleum and chapel in the Swan Point Cemetery in Providence
• Honor award for renovation/restoration work on the Hotel Providence
Century Drywall, Inc., Lincoln, RI
• Honor award for interior new construction of a Twin River gaming facility, Lincoln, RI
Custom Drywall, Inc., East Providence, RI
• Honor award for interior renovation work on the Grant Fulton Music Hall, Brown University, Providence
Dimeo Construction Company, Providence, RI
• Honor award for the construction of the new Baxt Building addition to Miriam Hospital
Gilbane Building Company, Providence, RI
• Honor award for the construction of the new GTECH Center office building, Providence
• Merit award for renovation of the Gateway Center office building, Providence
New England Construction, Rumford, RI
• Merit award for construction of the new Smart Car dealership in Fairfield, CT
• Merit award for the design and construction of the Polyrack North America headquarters and manufacturing facility, Cumberland, RI
Walsh Brothers, Inc., Providence, RI
• Honor award for the historic restoration and expansion of the Redwood Library and Athenaeum, Newport, RI