Nabholz Construction Corp. is near completion on a $30-million expansion project at Mercy Heart Hospital on W. Memorial Road in Oklahoma City. The five-story building will add 70,000 square feet to its existing facility.
The first floor will be their new emergency facilities; the second floor will be filled with patient rooms; the third floor will house procedural rooms; the fourth floor will be shell space for future expansion; and the fifth level will house the building's mechanical equipment.
The concrete structure will have an EIFS synthetic stucco skin and steel roof, matching the Heart Hospital's existing structure, adjacent to the north.
"Everything matches their existing building," said Clint Malley, project manager for Nabholz, "all the color schemes, windows, EIFS, and roofing."
Nabholz Construction Corporation had its beginning in 1949 when R.D. (Bob) Nabholz was building a house for his soon-to-be-bride. A man came along and made an offer on the house which Bob accepted. He took the profit and continued to build houses, then duplexes. This led to commercial buildings and the beginning of Nabholz Construction.
In 1973, the Nabholz carpentry apprenticeship program was developed. It is now known as the University of Nabholz and provides training for Nabholz employees as well as other industry professionals. The University of Nabholz houses a four-year carpentry apprenticeship program in addition to the Superintendent Training Program.
With projects over $100 millionper year, Nabholz is now one of the largest general contractors in the U.S. The company is employee-owned, licensed in 39 states and has offices in Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Nabholz became a member of the U.S. Green Building Council in 2002.