The Morris Museum in Morristown, N.J., opened the doors to its new, modern wing last month. Designed by RMJM Hillier, New York, the new wing—with more than 20,000 sf of renovation and new construction—brings old and new together, joining the museum's historic 1913 mansion (designed by famed architecture firm McKim Mead & White) to the highly regarded Bickford Theatre (above, left). A slatted redwood screen wall (above, right) marks the entrance to wing's grand entrance pavilion, which is adorned with modern glass panels and steel accents. The pavilion welcomes visitors to the museum, while also serving as an open event space, home to a new museum shop, and connector to the Bickford Theatre. Once inside, visitors are drawn to a new, two-story sun-lit atrium at the heart of the museum.
August 11, 2010