GOLD AWARD: Presidio Landmark, San Francisco, Calif.

The reconstructed landmark, which dates to 1932, is part of a 36-acre revitalized district in the national park.
November 08, 2011

Originally built in 1932 by Treasury Architect James Wetmore, the Presidio Landmark served as a public health service hospital specializing in plague diseases and sanitation. Decades later, the six-story, steel-frame, brick, terra cotta, and limestone building was sitting vacant and derelict.

In the mid-’90s, Presidio became part of the National Park system, and Congress established the Presidio Trust to preserve the landmark. Local groups questioned the rehabilitation at first, citing possible increases in traffic and light pollution. But after establishing a public-private partnership between Presidio Trust and Forest City Residential West, architecture firm Perkins+Will began the complicated design process.

Construction commenced October 2008 and was completed nearly two years later. The Building Team, which included Nabih Youssef + Associates (structural engineering), Donald F. Dickerson Associates (MEP engineering), Sherwood Design Engineers (civil engineering), and Plant Construction Co. (general contractor), revitalized the 220,000-gsf structure by integrating seismic and structural upgrades, converting hospital wings into marketable apartments, reversing seasonal groundwater intrusion, and designing unobtrusive shear walls to maintain historical integrity.

Contemporary apartment additions include wood floors, plaster walls, modern light fixtures, a fitness center, a wine cellar, a message room, a bicycle workshop, a spa and hot tub, a yoga room, expansive basement storage, two garden courtyards, and an outdoor grilling area. 

“This was a solid project,” BD+C Reconstruction Awards Judge Martha Bell, FAIA, said. “It met stringent city and commission rules while overcoming community opposition.” BD+C

         
 

Comments on: "GOLD AWARD: Presidio Landmark, San Francisco, Calif. "