The recently completed, 400,000-sf facility repurposed an abandoned casino into a state-of-the-art civic building that serves as a model of public safety integration
The longtime Detroit Police Department headquarters was considered to be one of the most modern municipal buildings in the world when it first opened in 1923. The building eventually fell into disrepair and was too outdated for continued use. As a city dedicated to renewal, reinvention, and smart investment, the new Detroit Public Safety Headquarters embraces all three.
The recently completed, 400,000-sf facility repurposed an abandoned casino into a state-of-the-art civic building that serves as a model of public safety integration. The building exterior was transformed using nearly 90,000 sf of insulated metal wall panels from Metl-Span, giving it a modern appearance. A tranquil color scheme was introduced, intermingling a mosaic of three blue-green Valspar Fluropon® shades—custom Key Largo, Sweet Nothings, and Tarryton—surrounded by custom Submarine Gray.
In addition to redefining the exterior, the panels provide a vapor barrier, insulation, and an air barrier. They also allowed many original exterior walls and wall framing to remain intact, and helped keep project costs down.
With Valspar’s Fluropon®, the coatings will provide exceptional resistance to ultraviolet rays, resistance to dirt and stains, and color retention—helping to maintain the sleek new look for years to come.
The Detroit Public Safety Headquarters earned LEED Silver certification through the U.S. Green Building Council, due to its efficient design and reuse of existing materials. It now serves as an icon of urban renewal and wise investing in the citizens of Detroit.