Arizona Army National Guard Readiness Center awarded LEED Silver
LEED certification of the AZ ARNG Readiness Center was based on a number of green design and construction features SAIC implemented that positively impacted the project and the broader community.
The Arizona Army National Guard (AZ ARNG) Readiness Center in Florence, Ariz., has been awarded LEED Silver certification, as established by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) and verified by the Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI). Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC), through its wholly owned subsidiary SAIC Energy, Environment & Infrastructure, LLC, provided design and contract administration services for the facility, including sustainable design and LEED administration services.
LEED certification of the AZ ARNG Readiness Center was based on a number of green design and construction features SAIC implemented that positively impacted the project and the broader community. These features included:
- Preferred parking stalls for low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles and covered parking for motorcycles to encourage use of alternative means of transportation.
- Exterior and interior lighting system designs that reduce night sky light pollution and support the nocturnal ecosystem.
- Mechanical systems that reduce energy costs by 29%, thus saving money for AZ ARNG while lessening the building’s impact on greenhouse gas emissions.
- Low-flow plumbing fixtures that result in a 40% reduction in water usage, saving money and contributing to a more secure water future.
- Solar heated water system that reduces energy costs for hot water.
- Sustainable materials that contained 30% recycled content--more than 20% of which was harvested and manufactured within 500 miles of the project site.
- Wood products used in the project harvested from Forest Stewardship Council certified forests.
- More than 85% of construction and demolition waste diverted from landfill to be either recycled or salvaged for reuse.
- Interior finish materials, paint coatings, sealants, and adhesives that meet low-volatile organic compound standards. +