The U.S. Department of Energy and the National Labs have released updated versions of their open-source, whole-building energy modeling tools: the EnergyPlus engine and the OpenStudio software development kit and application.
EnergyPlus V8.7.0 includes the following enhancements:
- New features to support residential modeling including a new attic duct model and the Kiva ground heat exchange model.
- Support for non-rectangular windows.
- A new generalized fan model.
- Enhanced plant auto-sizing.
- Full support for variable speed DX coils.
- Regular expression support in output variables for easier report generation.
- A refactored output module for improved performance.
The release also includes resolutions and fixes to 50 known bugs and issues.
More information about all of DOE’s energy modeling software and research projects can be found at https://energy.gov/eere/build