- Unusual owner/client requirements
- Inventive use of materials, products, or systems
- Structural engineering solutions
- M/E/P innovations, fresh approaches
- Energy/environment breakthroughs
- Sustainable design, green bldg. design, LEED
- Craftsmanship, detailing, elegance of execution
- Use of innovative technology, methods, tools
- Cost/budget issues – and evidence of resolution
- Overall design & construction quality
- Security issues, unusual approaches, results
- Social or cultural relevance of project
- Other measures of success (jobs, neighhood renewal, etc.)
- Innovative construction methods, approaches
- Unusual scheduling issues, timing demands, and solutions
- Metrics of satisfaction (energy savings, $$$, etc.)
- Project complexity – Was it challenging? In what way?
SUMMARY: Did this project push the envelope? How?
- Involvement of surrounding community, neighbors, affected stakeholders
- Involvement of public officials, public agencies
- Attention to surrounding environment, historic areas, community sensitivities
- Attention to environmental issues: wetlands, open space, recreation areas, etc.
- Overcoming unanticipated changes in the program
- Overcoming natural disaster (flood, hurricane), man-made disaster (loss of power supply), materials shortages
- Unusual solutions to budget restrictions
- Unusual solutions to keep project schedule on time
- Special social or cultural relevance of project
SUMMARY: Did the project perform a public good?