A primer on castellated and cellular steel beams [AIA course]
This BDCuniversity.com course is worth 1.0 AIA learning unit.
This course provides a thorough introduction to the design, cost and performance advantages of steel castellated and cellular beams. Beam attributes are explained from the perspectives of the architect, engineer, erector, and building owner.
After taking this course, you should know the following:
- Understand how steel beam depth and strength can be increased while using the same amount or even a lesser amount of steel, based on the castellated beam manufacturing method.
- Recognize and be able to discuss the intrinsic structural differences between castellated and cellular beams, compared to wide-flange steel and concrete beam options.
- Be able to discuss the specific cost and performance advantages of the castellated and cellular beam, from the perspectives of the architect, engineer, erector and building owner.
- Become familiar with the specification criteria used for castellated and cellular beams, including the criteria for the manufacture of this type beam in AISC certified facilities.
More like this
- Energy-efficient glazing technology [AIA Course]
- Tips for designing with fire rated glass - AIA/CES course
- Researchers discover tension-fusing properties of metal
- Building owners cite BIM/VDC as 'most exciting trend' in facilities management, says Mortenson report
- Los Angeles may add cool roofs to its building code