Permanent tribute to Daniel Burnham and his Plan of Chicago proposed for Grant Park Museum Campus
Daniel Burnham co-wrote the Plan of Chicago with Edward Bennett.
The first-place winner of a design competition for a public memorial celebrating Daniel Burnham's impact on Chicago will be announced at a news conference Wednesday, July 8, at 10am CDT. The proposed site for the memorial is on the Museum Campus just north of The Field Museum.
|Daniel Burnham is widely considered the father of American city planning.|
The announcement comes after nearly two years of planning by Chicago's architecture, design and urban planning community about how to best honor the legacy of Burnham and the Plan of Chicago he co-wrote with Edward Bennett. The Plan of Chicago is widely recognized as the first comprehensive planning document guiding the growth of an American city.
What: News Conference to Announce Winner
When: Begins at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, July 8
Where: Offices of the Chicago chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA Chicago)
Location: 35 East Wacker Drive in Chicago, Suite 250
A three-dimensional scale model of the proposed Burnham Memorial will be unveiled. In addition, all conceptual designs submitted as part of the competition will be on display. The winning design team will detail its plan for the Memorial.
More like this
- Chicago Architecture Foundation events for June, July 2009 - new evening cruises aboard Chicago's First Lady
- Building forensics experts to host seminar on 'Hidden Risks of Green Buildings'
- AECOM, Arup, Gensler most active in commercial building design, according to BD+C's Giants 300 report
- Clark Group, Hensel Phelps among nation's largest federal government contractors, according to BD+C's Giants 300 report
- Jacobs, Holder Construction top BD+C's ranking of the nation's 50 largest industrial building contractors