• RMJM Architects, Philadelphia, created MERJE, an environmental graphic design studio that creates places and visitor experiences to promote client brands. The group previously operated under Hillier Architecture, New York, prior to the RMJM and Hillier merger in 2007.
• Michael Kennedy, Jr., was named president of KAI Design & Build, St. Louis. He takes over the role from his father, Michael Kennedy, Sr., who remains chairman and CEO.
• Morris Architects acquired the healthcare specialty architecture and interior design firm Carter Design Associates. Both firms are based in Houston.
• Thomas Womeldurf joined Black & Veatch as chief of architecture and design. He will lead the firm’s architectural and sustainable design practice as the managing director of the Washington, D.C., regional office.
• RTKL Associates Inc., Baltimore, has promoted Patrick F. McCurdy, AIA, to VP in the firm’s healthcare group. McCurdy is a project manager and operations manager in the firm’s Los Angeles office.
• New York-based Thornton Tomasetti has promoted four people in its Chicago office: Carol Post, PE, SE, LEED AP, and Thomas Poulos, PE, SE, have been promoted to SVP and principal. Garret Browne, SE, and David Wiehing, PE, SE, LEED AP, were promoted to VP and senior associate.
• The Board of HOK Group Inc. and managers of HOK Sports Facilities LLC have jointly agreed to transfer ownership of HOK Sport Venue Event to leaders of that practice. HOK Group shareholders approved the transaction at an August meeting.
• The Los Angeles office of Omaha, Neb.-based Leo A Daly has named Michelle Ives director of interiors.
• Atlanta-based R.J. Griffin & Co. has named Jack P. Nix, Jr. as chairman and CEO. R.J. “Jim” Griffin, founder of the firm, will become chairman emeritus. For more: www.BDCnetwork.com.