People + Firms
• Merrick & Co. , Aurora, Colo., has opened an office in Ottawa, Canada. The new location, which will operate as Merrick Canada ULC, will staff up to 20 architects and engineers providing design services for various building types, including laboratories and research facilities.
• Donna Becco Schroeder has joined RTKL ’s Chicago office as principal and firmwide director of workplace strategic planning services.
• The Allen Group , a Dallas-based developer of industrial and office properties, has promoted Daniel McAuliffe to president of Allen Development of Texas. McAuliffe will direct the firm’s Texas operations, including managing the development of the Dallas Logistics Hub, the largest new logistics park under development in North America, with more than 6,000 acres master-planned for the construction of 60 million sf of distribution, manufacturing, office, and retail uses.
• HOK Sport Venue Event , Kansas City, has hired veteran exposition facility designers David Forkner and Charlie Smith . The two will open HOK’s Knoxville, Tenn., office, which will specialize in multipurpose arenas, sports facilities, Olympic venues, fair and equestrian complexes, and mixed-use entertainment centers.
• Jeffrey Sronkoski has been named director of higher education with Legat Architects , Chicago. In addition to his new role, Sronkoski will continue to serve as principal-in-charge of the firm’s Chicago office.
• Mobile, Ala.-based White-Spunner Construction has opened an office in Raleigh, N.C., in part, to support the construction of the 415,000-sf Plantation Point Shopping Center, which broke ground in November 2005.
• Affiliated Engineers , Madison, Wis., has appointed Paul Petska principal of the firm’s recently opened Chicago office.