New life for the last original building in St. Louis's Gaslight Square
The Ben J. Selkirk & Sons Building, the last original structure still standing in the once-thriving Gaslight Square area in St. Louis, has been restored and converted into loft apartments and commercial space as part of the ongoing redevelopment of the historic district. The new Motorworks development features 14,000 sf of commercial space on the first floor and 10,000 sf of loft apartments on the second level. Built in 1919, the structure originally housed the Oliver A. Haupt Lincoln-Mercury automotive dealership and later became the St. Louis location of the Selkirk auction house. Pinnacle Contracting, Clayton, Mo., served as the GC for local developer Saaman Development.