Documentary shows 'starchitects' competing for museum project
Gehry, Nouvel, Hadid, Perrault, and Foster try to win the prize as the cameras roll.
"The Competition," a new documentary produced by Angel Borrego Cuberto of Madrid, focuses on the efforts of five 'starchitects' to capture the design contract for the new National Museum of Art of Andorra: a small country in the Pyrenees between Spain and France.
Architects whose efforts are highlighted include Frank Gehry, Jean Nouvel, Zaha Hadid, Dominique Perrault and Norman Foster. Cuberto, himself an architect, created the film with his company, Office for Strategic Spaces, during 2009. Competing architects gave him varying degrees of access, as part of the Andorran client's requirements. Cubero reportedly got the idea for the film from his own firm's efforts to win a similar competition a few years earlier.A trailer has been released, but final editing is still under way. The actual Andorran project remains unbuilt.
A release date later in 2013 is projected by OSS.
More like this
- Zaha Hadid unveils plan for boutique condo development in New York
- Toyo Ito named 2013 Pritzker Architecture Prize recipient
- Peter Zumthor of Switzerland named 2009 Pritzker Architecture Prize Laureate
- Earn $300 million by NOT hiring Frank Gehry
- Construction under way on Jean Nouvel's Louvre Abu Dhabi