Chicago recently announced a “comprehensive” overhaul to local building codes. It had been 70 years since the last wholesale revamp of the city’s codes.
The city has adopted the International Building Code’s (IBC) terminology and classification systems. The new code will include:
· Provisions for modern materials
· Update sprinkler requirements to increase safety and encourage development
· Add risk-based structural requirements that will take the burden off those building relatively small and simple structures
· Provide more flexible, cost-efficient rehab codes for historic and other existing buildings
· Institute green building codes
· Introduce seismic codes for critical structures and tall buildings
The city will begin phasing in new codes on June 1, 2019. Full implementation is scheduled for Aug. 1, 2020.