A 13-story, 231,000 sf multi-tenant office building with first floor retail tenants in Coral Gables, Fla., has received LEED Gold certification from the U.S. Green Building Council for existing buildings after a retrofit. Built in 1974, 255 Alhambra Circle achieved the certification due to:
• An ongoing retro-commissioning plan to continually test, verify, and improve the overall efficiency of the building.
• Water efficiency gains by utilizing low flush toilets and urinals.
• A comprehensive policy with guidelines for purchasing energy-efficient office electronics, furniture that meets sustainable material requirements, and light bulbs that contain low or no mercury.
• A high performance green cleaning program, ensuring no high hazard chemicals are used to improve indoor environmental quality.
• Comprehensive and ongoing tenant engagement program.
• 77% of the building’s parking is underground, therefore reducing the heat island effect.